Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cartoons and Comics

ToonDoo
Larger image: MsM's Summer by MsM

ToonDoo was easy to use and therewere several choices of how to arrange the comics. It has a lot of characters to choose from as you create a panel also you can vary characters on different panels.It was hard to see the details on the characters when going through the list because the images were so small.  The characters were a little dated but I preferred them to the Make Beliefs Comics. On a funny note, the prison background as not intentional at first but felt it was appropriate how I feel tied to the computer and my projects. 

MakeBeliefscomix


Make Beliefs Comics

The comics strip was fairly easy to create and very easy to save.  I think the comic strip characters and background are fairly dated but I think it would be a good activity for students.  I like that once you chose a character it gave 4 poses of that character.   Over all I think, I would be a great gateway activity for students even in early elementary.  I probably wouldn't use them professionally, because looks a little outdated. I really like this site though because of  the creator, the links and connection he has to education particularly ESL students.




Pixton
Larger image: Library Girl's Summer
 
Click on image to see larger

Pixton was the most attractive cartoons out of the three sites we reviewed.  I liked that you could start with a template and then change the text and images.  It was fairly easy to navigate although I didn't understand why it was linked to subject matters.  I used the help feature several times but it wasn't necessarily helpful in my project.  I had a hard time embedding the image.  I have spent more time trying to embed the image than on the whole project, so that was disappointing.  Students would be able to have great use from this website and technology but the free account ends after 15 days.  You can create a classroom feature which is also nice. 

  Tellagami 

Tallagami was an interesting app, I liked the app but had to create the avatar every time I went out of Tallagami. It is relatively easy to navigate but the free version does not having many options on changing the avatar. Also, the free version had only 30 seconds of recording capacity which made it a little difficult to conduct a book talk.  The graphics are visually appealing and I will probably buy the full version, I wish they would create an iPhone version.  Students would have lots of applications for this in their schoolwork and to build their technology skills.  I will most likely use this app with my early elementary students.  The final product is striking and allows for the wow factor.


I plan on sharing these apps and websites to my teachers this year.  Our campus  has one to one technology, teachers are looking for areas to expand their students' skills and activity based on their Chromebooks.  I will share with teachers the ease of using technology to have a product to grade without paper.  I can help them establish a rubric for scoring projects.  I believe at the age of students on my campus using these sites will develop a foundation of technology and willingness to experiment.  I will introduce most of these products in the library and create some lesson plans on how the teachers can implement and tweek for a final product and grade.

5 comments:

  1. I like your idea of sharing these apps/websites with the teachers at your school as an assignment with a rubric. I tried to get Tellagami on my iPad, but it would not let me download with iOS11. I liked your Tellagami. Cute comic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you plan to introduce this product to teachers, help them with lesson plans, and even help establish a rubric. I was thinking these comics are a great way to assess learning, and students should be provided with a rubric as well so they know the expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Pixton made the best looking comics. There are just so many options and kids love it. I tried to embed the comic, as well, and it gave me some trouble. I ended up using the Snipping Tool on my computer to save it as an image. When I used Pixton in the classroom, I paid for it myself. The paid version has more ways of saving and sharing. I just hate spending my own money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't complete the extra credit, so it was nice to see what Tallagami is all about. I like the fact that you can choose the avatar to present the material. Although the time frame is only 30 seconds, you did a great job in presenting the material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had such a horrible time trying to create comics and I also agree that Pixton made it easy to create. Love your comics! I like that one of your strips is vertical as opposed to the classic horizontal.

    ReplyDelete