Thursday, June 7, 2018

Facebook and Twitter


Facebook School Library Pages
I examined several Facebook school library pages and found several ideas I wanted to incorporate in my Facebook library pages.  Most posted intermediately with a reminders about overdue books, book fairs and happenings in their library.  I researched different types of school, most Facebook school library pages were at the high school level.  I was particularly interested in the elementary level.  There was not a lot of responsive activity particularly with the high school level.  A few likes per post if any at the higher level and not many comments.  The elementary library school pages had the most interaction and shares.  The Mallett School Library page incorporated a button feature to learn more about the library and its programs, I will use this feature on my library page. They included a newsletter tab, I thought I would be able to include my Smores if I followed their model.

I believe there is advantages in creating a Facebook school library page but feel the younger the student is, the more the parents will be interested and interactive.  I have found on our Facebook school page, we have have excellent responses particularly when you included pictures or some type of graphic attached to the post. I surmise about parents of younger students being more interested based on interaction of our school page and personally experience with my own children.  My son has a lovely library with over 2400 students in his school but I don't even know if they have a page.  If there was pictures and articles about my kid, I might be more interested.  I believe that parents want to see their kids in the post or they will not follow as closely.

My Facebook School Library Page: FE Library

Sources:
Facebook School Library Pages:
Library - Lumberton Primary School
Library Northside Elementary School - AISD
Mallet School Library
Terry High School Library


Twitter
The tweets of the educational technology leaders varied in content.  The tweets ranged from educational resources, educational app, curriculum, articles that included technology, library functions and resources, social positions, personal life and school connections. These leaders are informative and have rich content. I will continue to follow them throughout my careers.

  • Jim Lerman @jimlerman had wonderful content mainly with links to articles regarding the digital age and education.  He also had tweets with resources of technology in education including apps/curriculum and helps.
Jim Lerman @jimlerman




  • Kathy Schrock @kathyschrock, she had content from her blog Katch of the month, tabletop texting, many education and computer apps, importance of vocabulary, learning more about incorporating technology in the classroom including app connections and 3d printing.  She is knowledgable in her field and has notes from her professional development seminars.  She includes valuable articles from other sources along with a few personal tweets.
Kathy Schrock @kathyshrock








  • Linda Braun @lbraun2000 has many retweets that are library related, activities and happenings throughout the country.  She retweets from YALSA regularly particularly on trends, libraries and national interest. Linda Braun was a former YALSA president and is passionate about the needs of teens and how libraries can intervene and make a difference.
Linda Braun @lbraun2000 





  •  Joe Fahs @mpondu has an excellent twitter feed.  His content is timely and has great connection for the librarian or anyone interested in technology and education.  He has a variety of content from personal, social, sports and education.  He tweets about privacy, digital apps, educational tools. I particularly enjoyed his retweet on the Smithsonian Learning Lab, a unending trail of information.  The Smithsonian has links for collection images, and articles pertinent to issues in education, popular culture and technology.
Joe Fahs @mpondu






  •  Gwyneth Jones @gwynethjones has a good twitter feed that mostly reflects the content of her blog.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I think Gwyneth is amazing and would love to go to her profession development classes.  She covers and retweets issues related to the library, her blog and post wins from her library. Ms. Jones has content specifically for her families but also for other interested in the topics she blogs and teaches.  She is an excellent example on how a school librarian can to connect families, students to the library and thus the school. She includes emojis, memes and pictures of her students that joins her community whether at her school or a larger following together.
Gwyneth Jones @gwynethjones






If you are interested, you can follow me @MsMlovesbooks16 .  I am still building my feed and haven't posted regularly.  I will do better, at least this semester. I have found there is usually a certain social media site that one gravitates to - my 18 year old son tends to communicate mostly on Snapchat and some on Instagram.  My early twenty something daughters use Instagram and a little Twitter.  My 20 year old has refused to create an account on Facebook, probably because Grandma is on there too. (This is important when thinking of our students' likes/dislikes). Needless to say, I have many accounts on varied social media sites as I connect with my own children.  We should be conscious of what avenue our target audience will gravitate to and use.

*I enjoyed this project and learned how to use HTML a little, which feels like a win.  #happyreading

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your comment about younger parents possibly using facebook more and being interested with their child in the post. I would wonder what the rules are regarding posting pics of kids and how it differs from the districts. You are also right in talking about knowing our audience and the goal for the social media we use. Who are we wanting to connect with and how is the best way to go about it are very important questions to always be asking. ( I also learned about embedding with html and was pretty excited about it:) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My HTML did not embed correctly, so I need your tips! I totally agree about facebook; as a current high school teacher, very few of my kids even have facebook, so in my opinion, it's definitely more heavily used by parents. Knowing your audience is important when it comes to what avenue you use to inform, so depending on the level, it's important to recognize what they use the most. Great thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw numerous Facebook pages whose information I would like to incorporate into my HS Library Facebook page as well. I also agree with you that many of our students (especially high school aged students) do not use Facebook, but even though this is the case, it is important that I still maintain a page. Because while my students don't use it, their parents do, as does my staff. So for me, our Facebook page is more of a site that includes reminders and information on what has been happening recently in the library. I also love that my library Twitter and Instagram pages are linked to my Facebook account so I can post to all of them at once. That makes life so much easier!

    Excellent job on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete